February 01, 2010

What Grace Just Said

I was up in Grace's room when she whispers to me, "Don't tell anyone, but I broke the head off of my boy Barbie on accident."
"That's fine, Barbie's heads break off all the time by accident."
"..."
"It was an accident right?"
"Yes, an accident means no one saw you do it and on purpose means someone saw you do it."
"No, accident means you didn't mean to do it and on purpose means you did mean to do it. So was it on purpose?"
"Yes."
"Why did you do that?"
-holds up another doll- "Because this doll didn't want to marry that doll."
"What if another doll wanted to marry that doll?"
"Some people don't get married, God has a different plan for them. That's what Mom told me."
"But you still didn't need to break it's head off."
"But that's what the plan was."










That's what life with Grace is like. She breaks heads off of dolls because that's the plan.

5 comments:

theMom said...

Madeline, I laughed so hard when I read Gracie's last line that I bumped my head on the desk.

Thanks for the great writing. I know you have good subject matter, but the story telling is always well done, too. Not everyone could retell the same episodes as well. Don't ever stop.

madhenmom said...

I think this is so cute!

Joseph Abrahamson said...

Excellent writing, Madeline! That was so good and so funny. Keep at it.

Maddi said...

Thanks. :)

Bailey said...

LOL! Ah, the wisdom of little sisters.

I believe one of our earlier boy Barbies became decapitated in the bathtub. Quite the typical end for such dolls.